Crispy Grain-Free Chicken Schnitzel
This family favorite meal gets a healthy upgrade with a grain-free twist. Instead of breadcrumbs, almond meal is used to create a crunchy, flavorsome and nutritious crust.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
500g chicken breast
1 cup tapioca flour
1½ cups almond meal
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sea salt
ground black pepper, to season
½ cup coconut oil
3 cups mixed salad leaves
1 small lemon, sliced
1. Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally. Place chicken on a chopping board. Using a meat mallet, pound chicken until thin and even.
2. Place tapioca flour in a shallow bowl. Place eggs in another shallow bowl and beat with a whisk or fork until combined. Place almond meal, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine. Season with black pepper.
3. One at a time, dip chicken into flour, coating both sides. Shake away any excess. Then dip into eggs and turn until well coated. Remove chicken, shaking away any excess egg and dip into the almond meal mixture, turning and pressing the chicken until well coated. Set aside on a plate.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook chicken in batches, adding more oil with each batch, for 3 minutes each side or until golden brown and crispy.
5. Serve chicken with salad and lemon slices on the side.
Instead of chicken breast, you could use chicken tenderloins.
You can serve chicken with homemade oven roasted potato chips and mayonnaise.
If you prefer, you can bake the chicken pieces instead of frying them. Place chicken in a single layer onto a large oven tray. Coat with oil and bake in a 200°C (400°F) oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
To make this recipe egg-free, replace the eggs with ¼ cup melted coconut oil.
You can also swap almond meal for gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Leftovers are delicious served in sandwiches the next day.