Whether you’re having a dinner party or just wanting an easy meal to cook, roast chicken & veggies is always a massive win with the family.
Left overs are great for packed lunches or fried up for a delicious breakfast.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time 1 hour and 15 mins
1 whole chicken
10 small potatoes, washed and cut in halves (alternatively use sweet potato)
4 carrots, washed
¼ cup olive oil (or you can use coconut oil or melted butter)
2 tablespoons rosemary
Whole lemon, washed (optional)
- In salted water, boil potatoes for about 15 mins (until they are tender but not falling apart). Then drain them and place them in an oven proof baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Rinse outside & inside of chicken with water, then place in the baking tray with the potatoes circling the chicken.
- Place carrots in between the potatoes
- Pour oil over chicken, carrots and potatoes
- Pour salt over chicken carrots and potatoes
- Rub the salt into the chicken
- Using your hands massage the salt and oil into the potatoes and carrots
- Sprinkle rosemary over the top of chicken, potatoes and carrots.
- Grind black pepper over chicken.
- Optional, place a whole lemon inside the chicken carcass to infuse the chicken with lemon.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes
- When finished, put a fork in between the leg and the carcass of the chicken to make sure that the juice come our clear. If blood is in the juices, it needs to cook for longer.
- Serve with suggested recommendations below.
Serve with homemade gravy, steamed green vegetables and hot corn with butter.
By: Michelle Cloete